Faridpur Medical College
Department of Pathology
Department of anatomy discusses the causes and effects of disease or injury.
Department of Anatomy
The goal of teaching pathology to the undergraduate students is to provide comprehensive knowledge of the cause and mechanism of disease, in order to enable them to achieve complete understanding of the clinical manifestation and natural history of the disease.
After completion of pathology course, undergraduate medical students will be able to:
- Explain basic mechanism of diseases: Etiology, pathogenesis, morphological changes with emphasis on common diseases prevalent in Bangladesh.
- Co-relate between clinical findings and pathological changes.
- Chalk out simple investigation plan for diagnosis and follow up of diseases.
- Interpret laboratory results and understand their implication.
- Demonstrate knowledge about the use of Histopathology, FNAC, Cytological examination, Pap smear, Frozen section and Immuno-histochemistry
- Develop attitude for further learning of the subject.
- Develop skills to perform
- TC, DC, Eosinophil count, estimation of Hb% and ESR
- Semen analysis
- Routine examination of Urine
- Microscopic examination of body fluids
- CSF examination
- Writing a requisition form for histo-pathological and cytological examination
List of Competencies to Acquire:
- Writing a histo-pathological requisition form
- Preservation of surgical specimens in Upozila health complexes and district hospitals and preparation of fixative for surgical specimens in 10% formalin
- Sending of surgical specimens from Upozila health complexes and district hospitals to nearby medical college and larger hospitals where histopathology service is available
- Collection of Paps’ smear/ FNAC from superficial mass lesions
- Preservation of cyto-pathological smears
- Sending of cytopathology specimens from Upozila health complexes and district hospitals to nearby medical college and larger hospitals where histopathology and cytopathology service is available
- Preservation of surgical specimens for immunohistochemistry and immunoflorescence
- Writing a requisition form for immunohistochemistry or immunoflorescence examination
- Determination of Hb%, ESR, TC & DC of WBC, total count of eosinophil, BT and CT, preparation of stain and comment on
- Performing routine urinary examination at health complexes
- Handling and maintenance of Microscope
Head of the department
The Course Details
Distribution of Teaching - Learning Hours:
Total Teaching hours
(Time for exam. preparatory leave and formative & summative assessment is common for all subjects of the phase )
Teaching - Learning Methods, Teaching Aids and Evaluation:
In course evaluation
Assignment, Self study
Computer & Multimedia Chalk & board
White board & markers OHP
Slide projector Flip Chart Models Specimens Projector
Study guide & manuals. etc.
· Item Examination
· Card final (written)
· Term final (written, oral+ practical)
3rd Professional Examination:
Marks distribution of Assessment of Pathology:
Total marks – 300
- Written=100 (MCQ 20+SAQ 70+formative Assessment Marks 10)
- Structured oral examination= 100
- Practical and OSPE =100
Prerequisite for 3rd Professional Examination:
- A Student must pass all term exam before appearing 3rd professional
- Class attendance must be 75 %